Sunday, July 5, 2009

Reclamation


  • In the 1970's I was very interested in the conservationist movement. Reclaiming polluted waterways, forests, endangered species, and such, seemed so meaningful. I still think it is important to be careful with our natural resources; but, from the standpoint of being good stewards of what God has entrusted to us. There's always been a great sense of satisfaction for me in finding a 2nd or 3rd use for something that would otherwise be discarded. For instance, I cut up T-shirts for baby wipes and take the buttons off of worn out shirts, and feed my kitchen scraps to the chickens. My reclaiming specialty these days is turning old sheets and worn out garments into crocheted rag rugs. I work on them mostly when I'm waiting...at the doctor's or at my son's bedside during a seizure episode...reclaiming the time. Another, better word might be "redeem". "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:16. I've been doing more of that this month, as Ethan has had a substantial amount of seizure activity.
    God is the Master of reclamation: reclaiming His own creation, redeeming lost souls with the blood of His own Son, Jesus. I give Him thanks and praise today for His interest in reclamation.

No comments:

Post a Comment