Sunday, July 5, 2009

Benefit of the Doubt


  • Once upon a time, and by those closest to me, I was known as the "benefit of the doubt sister".
    From what does this attribute, (if it is one), spring?
    I'd like to think that it is a natural quality of character that enables me to jump to good conclusions,
    rather than imagining the worst.
    Perhaps, I could even commend my parental training and influence, as my mother used to rather look on the bright side,
    see the positive and envision potential for good in every person and circumstance.
    But, sadly, I must admit, as I lay myself bare before the Lord and His Word,
    that it is more likely that I am willing to give others the benefit of the doubt, because,
    I am in need of it myself.

    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
    Matthew 7:12

    Anyway, I would like to dig a little deeper into my soul and allow Christ to qualify and strengthen this response to the mistakes, offenses, and sins of others with some examples and some scriptures.

    What is my initial gut feeling when someone cuts me off of a lane on the freeway? What would cause me to do that? I was distracted, didn't see the other car, or was fearful of missing my exit. No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; 1 Corinthians 10:13

    I've shared my heart with my spouse or friend, or detailed my plans for the day, and was not heard, no one gave attention. Do I feel slighted, unacknowledged, unloved? Or do I suppose that others minds and hearts are also full? They also have needs unmet, hearts aching, which cloud and distort their ability to see and hear. Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

    Even if what I perceive as a fault in another does not directly affect me, am I guilty of judging heart's motives, thereby "lifting myself up" as the Pharisee against the Publican? The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. Luke 18:11 Do I look at the outward appearance, rather than the heart? But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1Samuel 16:7

    As I considered these examples, as well as others, the first section of Scripture that came to mind was 1 Corinthians 13...
    4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

    And, this verse in 1 Peter 4:8 summarizes the key to giving "the benefit of the doubt": Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.

    Lord, help me to love as You love, to forgive as You forgive - there is no doubt about Your love and forgiveness. Amen.

    And, He spoke these words to my heart: "Freely you received, freely give." Matthew 10:8



No comments:

Post a Comment