Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Near to the Heart of God


My title is one of my favorite hymns and also an ongoing prayer...that I would stay near to Gods' heart. For, as this hymn states, it is " a place of quiet rest, a place where sin cannot molest...a place of comfort sweet, a place where we our Savior meet...a place of full release, a place where all is joy and peace."

I believe that God wants His creation to seek after Him, to desire close communion with Him. In Acts 17:26-28, we read that
"He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'"
"Seek the LORD while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near." Isaiah 55:6
"For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the LORD our God whenever we call on Him?" Deuteronomy 4:7

However, I see from the thousand or so scriptures that I read this morning, that there is a condition, a requirement , a key to God's heart; and that is His Son, Jesus.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14
"But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:13
"But without faith it is impossible to please Him. For he that draws near to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them who seek Him out." Hebrews 11:6 (Darby Bible Translation)
"Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25

There seem to be other conditions as well. The condition of our heart must be broken, sincere, fully surrendered and washed in Jesus' blood.

"Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water." Hebrews 10:22
"Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the LORD." Jeremiah 29:12,13
"Because this people draw near with their words and honor Me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from Me, and their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote, therefore behold, I will once again deal marvelously with this people, wondrously marvelous; And the wisdom of their wise men will perish, and the discernment of their discerning men will be concealed. Woe to those who deeply hide their plans from the LORD, and whose deeds are done in a dark place, and they say,"Who sees us?' or 'Who knows us?'" Isaiah 29:13-15
"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded." James 4:8
"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18
"Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him..." Psalm 85:9
"The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth." Psalm 145:18

With these conditions met, we can
"draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

We can pray
"Do not forsake me, O LORD; O my God, do not be far from me!" Psalm 38:21 "But You, O LORD, be not far off; O You my help, hasten to my assistance." Psalm 22:19 "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:8

And He answers,
"I bring near My righteousness, it is not far off; And My salvation will not delay." Isaiah 46:13

And we praise:
"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works." Psalm 73:28 "How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You to dwell in Your courts. We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple." Psalm 65:4


"O JESUS, BLEST REDEEMER,
SENT FROM THE HEART OF GOD,
HOLD US, WHO WAIT BEFORE THEE,
NEAR TO THE HEART OF GOD."

2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed looking over your posts. I look forward to checking back and being encouraged by all the Scripture you point out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama, these thoughts are very sweet and soothing to the soul! I love reading them because I love and know YOU, too!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete