Sunday, July 5, 2009

Plans and Priorities, Expectations and Exceptions


  • I had planned to finish my vacuuming this morning; but, my oldest son, after working all night, is asleep in the office.
    I expected to attend every evening of the special church meetings; but, Ethan's sensory integration dysfunction prohibited being there Friday night.
    I had planned to read a chapter out of "The Greatest Story Ever Told" at lunch each day with the boys; but, sometimes Samuel isn't at home or sometimes Howard is.
    I expected time alone with God in the early morning; but, the life companion He gave me desired coffee together before meeting his day.
    We plan, we have expectations and they are waylayed, time and again. I am tempted to feel discouraged, as if I have failed to fulfill a commitment or promise. Where is the routine we can count on? Where is the schedule that brings continuity to our days? Where are the habitual rituals that cement our lives and bring stability and security to children's hearts? These are the questions I have been asking myself lately.
    Although, I do not fully understand all the answers yet, I am ready to put this much in print:
    Our plans must be balanced with a God-given, moment-by-moment sense of priority. Prayer. Our expectations must be surrendered to the exceptions that He allows, as we recognize them as coming from Him. Wisdom.
    I make lots of lists: To-Do lists, Shopping lists, Goals lists, Menu lists, etc. Invariably, those lists are revised over and over, as one thing and another takes priority or loses priority. I'd like to think that it is a good thing, that flexibility and discernment. But, I'm also aware of the tendency to make excuses for ourselves, our laziness, our lack of perseverance. I want to be on guard against those pitfalls.
    On the other hand, I am increasingly aware that some days I am inspired to do a certain thing. I hadn't planned to do that thing; but, I have the strength and will to do it. Like those golden, "teachable moments" that we capitalize on with our children, I seize the "moment", with what I believe is Holy Spirit driven determination and zeal. That project takes precedence over what had been planned. I am tempted to feel guilty...instead of schoolwork, the boys helped me make the kitchen more functional. But, but, but we worked together, and while we worked, we talked; and while we talked, we laughed; and when it was done, we enjoyed a sense of satisfaction that comes from teamwork. No, I will not feel guilty for that exception.
    My heart's cry to God is this: Every day is fraught with exceptions, interrupted plans...help me make every day exceptional by listening to You, surrendering my will to Yours, patiently accepting Your priorities which bring changes to my plans.

1 comment:

  1. Leslie,
    I love what you have written here. It is as if you took what was in my heart and put it into written words!

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete