Sunday, July 5, 2009

Perspective, Perfection, Perseverance



  • These three concepts have been going round and round in my mind for quite some time now. I am not exactly sure how they are related; but I want to see what I can do to braid them together.
    I have been struck with how the way we perceive things affects our emotions, our spiritual well-being, our health, our responses, our relationships - everything! Similar to the old "is the glass half full or half empty" question, the way we perceive life not only affects our response to it; but also reveals something going on inside our hearts.
    I also think that we naturally desire perfection. Think about the scenarios to which people (in general) attach the word "perfect": the perfect color, a perfect match, a perfect fit, a perfect meal, a perfect score, a perfect race, perfect weather, perfect health, a perfect day, a perfect couple, a perfect wedding, perfect decor, a perfect picture (hence, "picture perfect"), and on and on. Those things that we perceive as perfect, are not truly perfect. That "perfect picnic" likely had ants or flies or too stiff a breeze. The "perfect couple" may have exchanged harsh words in private conversations. Our perception of the "perfect weather", was actually a disappointment to the farmer whose crops needed rain. And, we expect perfection from each other, though, we may not want to admit that. Do we expect perfection from ourselves? Unfortunately, we are usuallly guilty of wanting to be perceived by others as nearly perfect. We try to hide our imperfections.
    And, last, but not least, perfection demands perseverance in any category. If I desire to play a piece of music on the piano perfectly, I must practice for hours, every day.
    Ahhh...now I know how these topics fit together! How we perceive ourselves, our sin, this mortal life and the eternal life that Jesus Christ (the only perfect One) has provided for us, will affect how we persevere through this life. We will either perfect ourselves in the love of God and exercise perseverance in faith to obtain it, or we will consider it of little consequence and not worth the effort. Consider these verses as a summary:
    "Not that I have already obtained it [perfection] or have already become perfect, but
    I press on [perseverance] so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
    Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do:
    forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
    I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
    Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude [perspective]; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you;"
    Philippians 3:12-15 (NASB)

    "Now the God of peace, ...make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ; to Whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Heb.13:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment