Friday, April 30, 2010

The First Step

This is an overdue testimony of how my relationship with God began.  It was prompted by a friends' recent inquiry.

Illegitimate, I was adopted by well-meaning, but heathen parents.  (Ps.27:10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me, But the LORD will take me up.)  Ten months after doing so, they divorced, only to remarry one another 5 years later. My adoptive mother and I were very close friends, as I had no siblings, and her relationship with my father was stressful, at best. I was allowed to attend various churches with friends, intermittently; but my parents never did. And, we moved a lot, so there was no consistency. I had and asked many honest, searching questions about God as I grew up; but, wasn't given proper answers. I finally decided that God was for the weak of mind and body and that my mother was my god. (I actually said that!)
In 1975, when I was 18, my mother died fairly suddenly. I remember, crying out in anger and  agony to a "higher power" that I felt was responsible for taking her from me. In my heart I heard Him say, "Find out Who I Am".
That began my search for God...at first, in anger...but, I was determined to know Him. (Ps. 27:8 When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You, "Your face, O LORD, I shall seek.")
I was soon married, and my husband and I sought after Truth together, visiting many kinds of churches, and being disappointed in most. Near the addition of our first child, I responded at an altar call at a friend's Baptist church...I truly think I would have died of a heart attack, if I hadn't gone forward, so compelling was the Holy Spirit upon me! Unfortunately, there was no discipleship and I was left "fruitless" for quite some time. It was in 1986, and four children later, that our real growth and zeal increased, as we dug deeper into the Word of God. (Isaiah 30:21 Your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left.) Our journey had included many churches and many people...Lutheran, Lutheran Brethren, Baptist, etc...all important stepping stones! But, when we made the decision to home-school our children, we wanted a curriculum that was based (written from the ground up!) on the Bible. We found Rod & Staff Publishers to fit that requirement. And, they are a Mennonite Publisher. Well, that brought a whole new onslaught of spiritual questions that needed to be answered!
To make a long story short(er), we have been associated with "Mennonite" ever since, although we prefer to simply be "Christian". 
Personally, I don't think that any one denomination has all the "right" answers...it's like each one has a piece of the "pie". (1 Cor. 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.)
I continue to seek His face. (2 Tim. 1:12 ... I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.)
Currently, our family is growing in our faith and enjoying fellowship with the believers at Cleburne Christian Fellowship.
http://www.cleburnechristianfellowship.org/ 

2 comments:

  1. I always love hearing you talk straight from your heart (as if you talk any other way). This time was no different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to read this today -- thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete